Skeletonwitch's Evan Linger Interviewed by YDBCN "Europe, we're coming!"



When and how did you first become interested in music? How long have you been playing music?

I've always been interested in music. I remember being five or six years old and riding in the car with my mother and she would play all the local classic rock stations. I was fascinated with it all. I also recall seeing that "live" Guns'n'Roses video for Paradise City and just being floored by it. That was a real turing point for. Soon after I got a shitty guitar for a birthday and began playing music. I think I went through a year or two of just banning on it before I realized actually how to make it work and play on it. 



Where do you usually gather songwriting inspiration? What is your usual songwriting process?

Although we al contribute to the songs and Scott and I write riffs the bulk of the work has been traditionally done by our other guitar player Nate. He tends to demo a song with a four track and record two guitar parts and have some programmed drums. From there I'll take the demo and really try to break down what he's playing and determine the best kind of bass part. Sometimes you play with the guitars, sometimes the drums and other times you can really go off on your own. Bass is like a steak; don't overcook and don't undercook it.



Who are your musical and non-musical influences?

I have a lot of musical influences. I like bass players that really know how to be tasteful but also know all their "rock chops" so to speak. I'm into a lot of different kinds of music and I'm often inspired by bands that are far from metal. For example the bass playing on all of The Smiths records is incredible. I think its a common misconception that people in the "metal world" are the only musicians that are at the top of their game. Listen to J. Mascis play guitar. Also I think there is a lot to be said about good songs and making things catchy. I do not want to hear sweeps and gravity blasts, I want to hear music that moves me and has feeling.



How do you balance your music with other obligations like job?

Skeletonwitch is all of our full time jobs and comes first. You have to be willing to drop everything and make your band the top priority if you want to see any level of success. Occasionally I'll work at a record store if we are home of long periods of time.



What are the biggest obstacles for bands?

I think the biggest obstacle is just finding the right guys who are committed to making it work. You can't have an ego and you have to have your priorities straight. No one wants to be in a band with someone who is late all the time or didn't practice his parts or gets fucked up every night. It takes a lot of commitment and sacrifice to be in a functioning band. It has to be worth it to you. 



What's your outlook on the music industry today?

The music industry is diluted, fragmented and honestly quite broken. However music itself is in a great place right now. Especially metal. I'm very excited to see bands doing really innovative and creative things with different genres of metal right now. 



What advice would you give to fellow bands?

I would tell kids in bands to tour a ton and then just when you start getting kinda sick of it do it all over again and then just maybe if you're still having fun you're cut out for it. Being in a serious band is about 10% playing your instrument and 90% other stuff you never thought you would have to deal with when you started playing music. Also be nice. 



Why did you choose to play this kind of music?

I love metal and rock so I wouldn't be content being in a folk band or something like that. 


Do you think that online presence is important for fans to find you and critics to find your music to write about?

 An online presence is very important now days. The internet is replacing our TVs, CDs and Radios so for better or worse you have to play the game to succeed.



What do you think about downloading music online?

 Downloading music is interesting. The simple fact is, for people like me in bands, it takes money directly out of our pockets if you "steal" our albums as opposed to buying them. Its a much deeper issue, however. Record labels are behind the times and something has to be done. Downloading is the future. Labels and Artists are going to have to find ways to live with that and offer material in ways consumers want them. Honestly, if someone steals our album and likes it and comes to show and becomes a life long fan than maybe its better than them never hearing it to begin with. Listeners, Artists and Labels have to find a mutually beneficial way to exist together. 



Do you think the public and critics expect too much from your new record?

The reviews of our newest album have been mostly favorable and I've been more than happy. I don't pay too much attention to reviews. We just do what we do and hope people enjoy it.

Tell us about your next shows and why we should be there

We're coming over to Europe in a few weeks and couldn't be more excited. It has been a while since we have been over and much longer since we have played in Italy. Were excited to party with you all!


Share on Google Plus

About Edoardo

YDBCN è un collettivo di persone disagiate che odia la musica
    Blogger Comment